History

Modern territory of Cortaillod was inhabited since very old times. The community consisted of old village Cortaillod, which was located at the top of the Neuenburg lake’s steep bank, residential area on the plain (Harbor of Petit Cortaillod) and large forest with a chine from the Boudry site. In 1311 the village had name Cortaillot. The village owes its origin to combination of such important things as fertile land in the north, suitable slopes for winegrowing in the south. The population in Cortaillod in 1750 amount to 521 inhabitant, in 1850 – 1110, 1900 – 1299, 1950 – 1561.